- Responsible for the design and development of more than two dozen websites and web-based applications.
- Created process to scope development projects more effectively.
- Instituted a more thorough system for tracking web analytics.
- Develop working prototypes of features to use during market research and usability studies with clients.
- Led the migration of a 400+ page static website to Drupal 7.
- Improved the search engine ranking of toriryanphoto.com from page three to top five on page one.
- Presented the fundamentals of web usability at a national geospatial conference.
- Received the National Ocean Service’s Bronze Award for work done on humandimensions.gov.
- Multiple company awards for outstanding achievement and teamwork across various projects.
- Information Architecture
- Interaction Design
- Aesthetic Design
- Project Scoping
- Search Engine Optimization
- Website Analytics
- Drupal / WordPress Development
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Microsoft Office
- Windows XP / 7 and OSX
Bachelor of Fine Arts in Digital Design
Summa Cum Laude, May 2005
School of Visual Communication
American InterContinental University
Major in Music Education
126 Hours Completed
August 1995 to April 2000
School of Music
University of South Carolina
August 2012 to Present
Senior Interaction Designer
- Translate use cases and business requirements into functional specifications and designs.
- Develop a clear consistent user experience and interface for new and existing products and features.
- Work with product owners to conduct market research and usability tests on upcoming features.
- Work on SCRUM teams as a front-end engineer to impliment new features.
NOAA Coastal Services Center
On contract with various companies
May 2009 to August 2012
Team Lead / Lead Web Designer
- Developed and oversaw the user interface and aesthetic design of all websites and web-based applications.
- Coded websites or web applications.
- Worked with the Communications department to ensure consistent branding between print and web design.
- Worked with project teams in scoping development projects, including
- identifying potential audience,
- developing functional requirements and / or information architecture,
- building use cases,
- designing the interface,
- identifying timelines for development phases,
- monitoring the status of development and reviewing with the project team and management, and
- conducting functional and usability reviews and determining optimal solutions.
September 2005 to May 2009
- Led the design and development of various NOAA websites.
- Developed usability testing guidelines for the Coastal Services Center.
- Implemented a website analytics system, including
- educated teams on how to interpret the data, and
- working with those teams to use that data to improve their site.
October 2001 to September 2005
Associate Web Developer
- Provided design and coding skills to various NOAA grant recipents.
- Developed and maintained portions of the Coastal Services Center’s website.